Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Life with Two: Then vs. Now


Isla has always been a bit more needier than Sahara ever was at her age. Since the day she was born, she was, ummm, I'm trying really hard to think of a different word other than difficult. Challenging. She was sweet, beautiful, a snuggle bug, but that was basically all she wanted to do. Period. The minute she was put down, she screamed. A lot. If I had been able to hold her all the time, we probably would have seen a much different baby, but alas, household chores called, her older sister needed mama time, and time for the daddy had to be squeezed in there, too, not to mention the extra two minutes I took to breathe by myself. Thus, we had a bit of a cranky baby.

As I look at our day to day life now, and think back on the time of having an extremely sassy three year old, (which we are just now coming out of that horrendous stage. Thank Heaven!), and an ever screaming baby, I wonder how I ever did it. Add sleep deprived to the mix and I'm sure I made for some happy company. Looking at my girls now, you would never know how unhappy Isla was as a newborn. She is happy, goofy, and loves to laugh and play. Now that she can walk and almost run, (this is usually followed by a fall), and keep up with her ever moving sister, she is happy as a clam.

Our days are still somewhat hectic. We have a lot of drama happenings around the house multiple times a day. The girls are playing together now more and more, which is the cutest thing ever and makes my mama heart melt just watching them play and laugh together. Unfortunately, with Isla growing older and wanting to play with Sahara, there would seem to be a bit more fighting than before. The fighting usually goes something like Isla wanting something Sahara has. She tries to take it, Sahara holds on and yells for me to come stop her. I tell Isla no and try to give her another toy. Isla has an extreme meltdown and giant temper tantrum. She  then tries to bite, or pinch, sometimes getting Sahara good. Sahara yells, "IIIISLLLAAAAA!" And, after I tell Isla no again, she throws her head back, cries and walks away. She turns right around and comes back, finds another toy and it's back to playing. Ahhh, deep breath.

And, yet even with all the drama throughout the day, it would seem as of now, I actually feel like I'm getting this parenting two thing down. I know exactly what to expect throughout the day. We have much more of a schedule than we used to, which helps things along and can sometimes make the day go more smoothly. I have a much easier time handling them both by myself at stores and out and about. I finally feel like I know how to handle two, my crazy, silly, dramatic, sassy two.

It has taken a year. A complete year to make me feel this way. I have heard it said that it takes six months for everyone to find their place in the family after a new addition, but it took a lot longer than six months for me to really feel like I somewhat know what the heck I'm doing. And, I suppose this feeling will only last a little while until a new stage comes along. I have no idea what the four age stage is like, but already it seems to be a huge improvement from the threes. I guess I'll 'rest' in this place right where we are at now until I have to take the plunge into the upcoming new territory.

2 comments:

  1. For me, as they hit that 4 stage & beyond it only gets easier. They are a little less emotional & a lot easier to reason with. I know I always say this but we seriously should all do a play date soon. My back yard is great in the Summer or we could hit a park. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fun! And, I am very happy to hear that the next stage is much easier than this one :)

      Delete

Life Updates

     Well, hello blog world! A world I haven't been a part of in so many years. This was a world I was into for so long and loved writin...